Our number one priority is quality. Our experienced landscape construction team are committed to delivering high quality craftsmanship and attention to detail when constructing your garden.
It is true that landscape construction is usually messy, noisy and can be time consuming. We understand that this can be hard on you and to help you through this phase, we take extra steps to:
- Respect your home and family or your business and clients
- Honor your opinions and preferences
- Communicate clearly so that you know what is going on during each step of construction
- Keep things as clean as we can
- Finish the job as quickly as possible, without sacrificing quality
The landscaping process varies according to the size of the area, the topography of the land and the elements that are being used, but in general landscape construction involves the following six steps:
- Prepare the area – This first step involves removing unwanted elements, for instance weed-infested turf, tree stumps or even a deck area that is going to be replaced. Once we have eliminated all unwanted elements, we prepare the ground and if necessary, grade the area so that we have the level or sloped surface that we need for the landscape.
- Construct hardscapes – Hardscapes are man-made elements, such as pathways, patios retaining walls, sheds, etc… Constructing hardscapes often involves laying bricks or concrete and then allowing it to dry, so this second step can take several days to complete.
- Plant softscapes – Softscape elements are the trees, bushes, grass and plants in the landscape. Installing softscapes can include spreading topsoil before laying new turf, as well as building flower beds and filling them with plants.
As we work with the softscapes, we often create layers by mixing plants of different heights, shapes, colors and leaf patterns to give the finished landscape height and depth.
- Install accessories – Once we have the main hardscapes and softscapes in place, it is time to install landscape accessories. The category of landscape accessories is very broad and includes everything from recycled rubber pathways and artificial turf to accent lighting and irrigation systems.
Adding accessories is one of our favorite parts of landscaping, because at this point, the landscape really begins to come together and show its beauty.
- Add final touches – The next to last step in landscape construction is adding final touches to both the softscapes and hardscapes. With regard to the softscapes, this includes spreading mulch, pruning overgrown plants and sometimes winding vines around garden arches.
Finalizing the hardscapes is usually a little bit harder and can involve painting a newly built BBQ area, laying ceramic tile, installing an outdoor sink or oven and much more.
- Clean up – Last of all, we go through the whole landscape to double-check our work and also clean up.
A well-built landscape contributes significantly to the well-being and quality of life of everyone that sees it, because it provides opportunities to forget the stresses of life, connect with nature, refresh the mind and enjoy the beauty of sounds, smells, colors and textures. Here at Normark Landscapes we strive to make each of our landscapes well-built and beautiful.